The Exponential Function
How to Use this Applet
The Slider Area
The sliders change the parameters a and b in the exponential function.
- Drag a slider to change the value of a parameter.
- The <LEFT> and <RIGHT> arrow keys can be used to change the selected parameter [light blue].
- The <UP> and <DOWN> arrow keys can be used to increase or decrease the selected parameter. (Use this feature for fine adjustments.)
- If the arrow keys don't respond, click the cursor in the applet frame then try again.
- Drag a parameter scale to "move" it. (I.e., change the range but maintain the scale "length".)
- Drag towards or away from a parameter thumb to "re-scale" the scale.
- Select the corresponding parameter button to enter a value for a parameter.
The Graph Area
- Drag the red location along the y-axis to adjust parameter "a".
- Drag any other location along the graph to adjust parameter "b".
- Click and drag any location in the graph area (not on the exponential graph) to see the coordinates of the cursor, the coordinates of locations along the graph, and terms of a geometric sequence (when appropriate).
- The <SHIFT> key: Click and drag in the graph area to move the entire coordinate system.
- The <CTRL> key: Click and drag in the graph area towards or away from the origin to change the x and y axis scale.
- The <CTRL>+<SHIFT> key: Click and drag in the graph area towards or away from the:
- x-axis to change the y-axis scale.
- y-axis to change the x-axis scale.
- Use the "RESET" button to restore the applet to the initial state.