How to Use this Applet
The Slider Area
The sliders change parameters h, k and p in the quadratic relation.
- Drag a slider to change the value of a parameter.
- The <LEFT> and <RIGHT> arrow keys can be used to change the selected parameter [light blue].
- The <UP> and <DOWN> arrow keys can be used to increase or decrease the selected parameter. (Use this feature for fine adjustments.)
- If the arrow keys don't respond, click the cursor in the applet frame then try again.
- Drag a parameter scale to "move" it. (I.e., change the range but maintain the scale "length".)
- Drag towards or away from a parameter thumb to "re-scale" the scale.
- Select the corresponding parameter button to enter a value for a parameter.
The Graph Area
- Drag the vertex of the parabola to move it in the coordinate system.
- Drag any location along the parabola to change parameter a.
- Click and drag any other location to see the coordinates of the cursor and locations along the graph of the parabola.
- Move the cursor into the equation area to see which type of parabola (horizontal or vertical) is being displayed.
- The <SHIFT> key: Click and drag in the graph area to move the entire coordinate system.
- The <CONTROL> key: Click and drag in the graph area towards or away from the origin to change the x and y axis scale.
- Use the "RESET" button to restore the applet to the initial state.