How to Use this Applet
The Graph Area
- Drag the left or right arrows ( ) to adjust the caliper.
- Use the left and right arrow keys to adjust the caliper.
- If the arrow keys don't respond, click the cursor in the applet frame then try again.
- Use the "METRIC" button or the "IMPERIAL (10 : 100)" button to have divisions of ten read in decimals.
- Use the "IMPERIAL (8 : 64)" button to have divisions of eight read in fractions.
- Use the "GENERAL (n : n²)" button and the "n DIVISIONS" button to set three to twenty divisions read in fractions.
- Use the "RESET" button to restore the applet to the initial state.
For the caliper applet to work properly (on screen), one division of a unit must be a multiple of the number of divisions IN SCREEN PIXELS. As a result, inches and centimeters will not "look" the proper length on screen. This applet will still promote the concept of reading Vernier calipers.