Working with Decimal Numbers
This sample targets the following changes in the curriculum:
- The general outcome focuses on number sense; whereas the previous math curriculum specified demonstrating number sense for whole numbers and exploring proper fractions and decimals.
- The specific outcome includes representing decimals to thousandths; whereas the previous curriculum included reading and writing decimals to thousandths in Grade 6.
- The specific outcome includes relating fractions to decimals (to thousandths); whereas the previous curriculum included only decimals to hundredths in Grade 5.
- The specific outcome includes comparing and ordering decimals (to thousandths) with specific strategies outlined; whereas the previous math curriculum focused on comparing and ordering fractions and decimals to hundredths with no strategies suggested.
- The specific outcome includes adding and subtracting decimals (limited to thousandths); whereas the previous math curriculum focused on adding and subtracting decimals to hundredths with emphasis on concrete, pictorial and symbolic connections.
Working with Decimal Numbers addresses the following outcomes from the Program of Studies:
What is a Planning Guide?
Planning Guides are a tool for teachers to use in designing instruction and assessment that focuses on developing and deepening students' understanding of mathematical concepts. This tool is based on the process outlined in Understanding by Design, by Grant Wiggins and Jay McTighe.
The following steps will help you through the Planning Guide:
See Bibliography for reference information.