Copyright © 2003, Alberta Education. The LearnAlberta.ca portal and any trademarks associated with it under the Trade Marks (Canada) Act, are owned by the Crown in Right of Alberta as represented by the Minister of Education, Alberta Education, 10155 -102 Street, Edmonton, Alberta T5J 4L5. All rights reserved.
Users should reference the copyright link on each resource for any special terms and conditions or third-party credits that may be attached to the use of that particular resource.
All digital learning resources found on the LearnAlberta.ca web site have been developed or licensed specifically for Alberta Education/LearnAlberta.ca. Canadian copyright law and international copyright treaties protect all these resources, which consist of a series of audience-specific web pages that facilitate access to a learning object collection that supports Alberta curriculum.
Third-Party Content Alberta Education has licensed content for use from third-party copyright owners. Every effort has been made to identify licensed third-party material with a copyright symbol © or an appropriate credit located near the borrowed excerpt or in a copyright credit index attached to the resource. Please notify Alberta Education of cases where copyright has not been appropriately acknowledged so corrective action can be taken.
Except as provided in some of our licensing agreements with third parties, it is illegal to reproduce, modify, translate, distribute, sublicense, sell, rent or lease any third-party material without written permission from the copyright owner or their representative.
If Crown-owned content is to be used, reproduced, stored or transmitted for commercial purposes or if you have any questions or concerns about permissions or copyright, please contact the Copyright Coordinator at: email@example.com
Logo The LearnAlberta.ca logo may be reproduced with written permission for non-profit educational purposes or for promotional and/or professional development purposes in Alberta's learning community. Any commercial use of the logo is strictly prohibited.
- Authorized Users "Authorized" users are currently enrolled students, their parents, and school staff of all publicly-funded, Kindergarten to Grade 12 schools in Alberta. This includes Public, Separate, Francophone, Charter, and publicly funded Private or Virtual schools. In addition, Alberta students in Education programs in universities and colleges and students working in upgrading programs within the K-12 context at colleges (for example in high school upgrading or college preparation programs) and faculty members, instructors and library staff associated with these programs are authorized to access the resources.
- Guest Users "Guest" users are those who do not qualify for authorization to access protected content on the Portal.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS : Users should reference the copyright link on individual Resources found on the Portal for special conditions and/or restrictions that may be attached to the use of that particular Resource.
In return for the right to use the content accessed through the portal, You agree as follows:
- Scope of Use
LearnAlberta.ca Resource are licensed, not sold, to You for use on single workstations at home or at school on a computer network in an Alberta school jurisdiction provided You also reproduce and include the Copyright Statement and all other proprietary notices attached to the original.
A "computer network" is any number of terminals electronically linked and capable of sharing the use of a single Resource. To "use" any Resource is to load included files in either the temporary (e.g., RAM) or permanent (e.g., hard disk, CD-ROM) memory of a computer.
- Permitted Uses
The following permitted uses do not require written permission from Alberta Education. With respect to material owned by Alberta Education, You:
- May view, download (where allowed), store, reproduce and transmit Resources, including third-party items marked with a ã symbol or credit line, "AS IS" for inclusion in your own electronic or printed lesson materials for your online or classroom students provided You include any copyright or proprietary notices that accompany such material.
- May modify Crown-owned material to suit your lesson needs but You may not change or alter accompanying third-party items. You may use the original and/or the resulting revised work for personal and non-profit educational purposes only. Once any change is made to Crown-owned material, the following acknowledgement must be shown in a prominent place on the revised work: "This work has been adapted from a learning resource originally produced and owned by Alberta Education. (http://www.learnalberta.ca)"
- May provide or embed links in online lessons for your student
Derivatives developed from Crown-owned content may also be reproduced for use within your school jurisdiction. Alberta Education is not responsible for such derivative works since they are not considered authorized resources of Alberta Education.
- You may not decompile, disassemble, reverse-engineer or otherwise attempt to derive the source code for any Resources without permission from Alberta Education.
- You may not delete, remove or obscure any author attributions, legal notices, proprietary designations or copyright or trademark notices on the Portal or in any of the Resources.
- You may not rent, lease, sublicense, loan or sell any Resources.
- LearnAlberta.ca Resources are designed to meet Alberta Learning Recognizing Diversity and Promoting Respect Guidelines . You must not alter any of the Resources in a way that renders them inconsistent with these guidelines. For details on the guidelines, contact (info coming)
- Permission is granted to LearnAlberta.ca guest users to post direct text hyperlinks to the LearnAlberta.ca web site provided You link to the home page at www.learnalberta.ca and on the understanding our content will not be used for commercial purposes or gain. The window, when opened, must be unrestricted in size and unframed. Alberta Education has no power over the content of sites that link to LearnAlberta.ca and hence takes no responsibility for their content. However, Alberta Education reserves the right to demand that a link to an inappropriate site be shut down.
Please notify LearnAlberta.ca of your intent to provide a direct text hyperlink so we can track our site usage.
- You may not use the LearnAlberta.ca logo as a link.
- Guests will not be able to link to portions of the LearnAlberta.ca web site that are password-protected.
- Assignment : Rights under this Agreement are non-exclusive and non-transferable.
- Term :
- This Agreement is effective until terminated. This Agreement will terminate automatically, and without notice to You, if You fail to comply with any of its terms. Upon termination, You must destroy all copies of any Resources and related documentation.
- If You download and store or reproduce any copies of Resources found on this site, You agree to destroy or delete those copies once they no longer exist on the site or an expiry date for the Resource has passed or You cease to be an authorized user in Alberta.
- Updates : The Minister may provide updates to the Resource. Once an update is provided, You agree to destroy all prior copies and versions. Only then does this license transfer to the updated Resource.
- Warranty : The Minister makes no warranties express or implied arising from your use of the Resource and the Minister expressly excludes any and all warranties of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, or non-infringement of third-party rights.
- Limit of liability and hold harmless : Under no circumstances will the Minister be liable to You for any consequential or incidental damages arising from your use of the Resource, including lost profits or lost savings, or for any claim by any party. You agree to hold harmless the Minister from any and all third-party claims, demands, or actions for which You are legally responsible, including those arising out of negligence or willful acts by You or by others under your control
- Governing Law : The laws of the Province of Alberta shall govern this Agreement.
C. Internet Disclaimer:
- Many of the resources found on LearnAlberta.ca contain external Internet site listings as a convenience and an added source of information to users on an "AS IS" basis and without warranty of any kind. Alberta Education is not responsible for maintaining these links or the content on external sites nor do URL listings in this Resource constitute or imply endorsement of that site's content. The Crown, its agents, employees or contractors will not be liable to You for any direct or indirect damages arising from your use of any of these sites.
- Exploring the electronic information superhighway can be educational and entertaining. However, be aware that these computer networks may not be censored. Students may unintentionally or purposely find offensive or inappropriate articles on the Internet. Since information sources are not always cited, students should be encouraged to confirm facts with a second source.
- The perspectives and opinions expressed by speakers in the video clips are their own, not necessarily those of Alberta Education.
See the following for information on web awareness and safety: