Guide to Career and Technology Studies (CTS)
Purpose of This Resource
The purpose of the Career and Technology Studies (CTS) Health and Safety Resource is to provide information that models safe practices and behaviours that contribute to a culture of health and safety awareness. This content will guide CTS teachers and school administrators in implementing and maintaining an occupational health and safety system (which meets the requirements of Alberta Occupational Health and Safety legislation) in providing safe and healthy workplaces and learning environments for employees, students, and others present in district facilities.
This is by no means a comprehensive guide to health and safety education. There are many resources available, and teachers are encouraged to use those most appropriate for their students.
Health and Safety in CTS Learning Environments
Providing healthy and safe CTS learning environments requires teachers, school administrators, and school authorities to
- understand how safety is addressed in the CTS classroom and/or specialized facility
- review present safety practices within CTS learning environments, both on- and off-campus
- develop and maintain effective health and safety programs
- plan for the design and/or updating of CTS learning environments
- plan professional development and in-service activities related to health and safety
CTS courses address safety and risk management through the identification of specific elements in CTS course parameters (e.g., equipment, facilities, instructional qualifications) that need to be in place to support safe learning. Learning outcomes in each CTS course require safety awareness and the demonstration of safe practices related to the occupational area for the CTS course.