Slope of a Line Segment
How to Use this Applet
The Graph Area
- Drag an endpoint of the segment to move it to any location.
- Drag a point along the segment (other than an endpoint) to move the segment.
- <SHIFT>+drag an endpoint of the segment to move it to any other location equidistant from the other endpoint.
- <CONTROL>+drag an endpoint of the segment to move it to any other location along a line containing the segment.
- The arrow keys will move the "selected" endpoint.
- If the arrow keys don't respond, click the cursor in the applet frame then try again.
- Select THE RISE/RUN RELATION button to see the calculation of pitch (slope) in the absence of a coordinate system.
- Select THE SLOPE FORMULA button to see the calculation of slope as related to locations in a coordinate system.
- Hold down the RUN < 0 button to see the calculation of slope when the denominator of the formula (RUN) is less than zero.
- Select the x1, y1, x2 or y2 buttons to enter values for coordinates as text.
- Select the SWITCH 1 & 2 button to interchange the coordinates of P( x1, y1 ) and Q( x2, y2 ).
- Select the PRECISION button to set number rounding.
- Select the MOVE ORIGIN button, then drag in the graph area to move the entire coordinate system.
- Select the CHANGE SCALES button, then drag in the graph area (towards or away from the origin) to expand or compress the scales on each axis.
- Select the ? button for help.
- Select the RESET button to restore the applet to the initial state.