This support material is incorporated into critical challenges at grades 6, 9 and 11, however, it can be adapted for use at all grade levels.
The following document can be adapted and re-saved for your needs.
This chart helps students develop tentative definitions of various terms on a common topic and to refine their definitions after receiving additional support or clues.
To use this chart, students:
- list the words to be defined in the left-hand column
- develop tentative definitions for each term using the following strategies to decode the meaning:
- look at the parts of each word
- recognize already known parts and think of the meaning
- think of an example of an action or event depicted by each word
- share their tentative definitions with other students
- refine the tentative definitions, as necessary, to ensure that each definition satisfies the following criteria:
- accurately represents the meaning of the term
- is concise
- clearly explains the term for all to understand.
To meet the diverse needs of students, consider providing supporting examples, clues or a sentence in which the term is used.
Adapted from Critical Challenges Across the Curriculum series. Permission granted by The Critical Thinking Consortium for use by Alberta teachers.